4:29 AM

Easy Lovin'


I'm not quite sure what it is about homemade Chicken Soup that works. But it does the trick.

A few years ago, my friend MaryAnn made a simple dinner of soup and bread in her little apartment. At the time, I was still new to cooking and found the process alone simply amazing!

Mary was kind enough to share the recipe with me and I've been making it ever since. And now I can't go back to canned chicken soup. Not even Progresso!

Last week, the hubby & I were fighting "Starter Colds". Ugh.

You know the kind...

You wake up stuffy and congested. Ears, nose, both blocked. Or maybe while you're at work, your sinuses begin to burn. Your throat gets an instant rasp or cough that you just can't shake.




I was feeling ALL of the symptoms.  And as I sat on the couch one night, I felt "The Starter Cold" crawl over my body. You know that feeling when the "yuck" washes all over you and through your very bones?? Oh it was a ride. Believe me, honey.

And my Boo wasn't doing much better.

In my head, I plucked through the ingredients needed vs. what I knew I had on hand:

Chicken Breast? In the freezer.
Onion? Maybe. Some dried minced onion might do.
Parsley? Definitely.
Egg Noodles? In the cabinet!
Carrots & Celery? Uhh...we never ate that veggie tray I just bought...so Yes!
Chicken Boullion? Just enough left after Thanksgiving.
Fresh Lemon? Naturally.

It was ON like Donkey Kong.

I sent the Husband out for some Airborne tablets & got to work on the soup.

While I prepped all the ingredients I found myself thanking God for the ability to do this for the two of us.
 It felt good to create something that would make both of us feel a little better. Chicken soup, however you make it, is liquid love, stirred in a pot, warmed on the stove. It fills the heart and the tummy. Does it get any better than that??

 I think not.

Two days and ump-teen bowls of soup later, the sniffles were all gone from the house.  And thank God for that! I didn't have to miss work or church and our little baby didn't get sick. CRISIS AVERTED.

No sooner were we on the mend, did I see the latest magazine from Martha Stewart Living. There was a whole 3 pages dedicated to the scientifically based merits of Chicken Soup:



Inside, were 3 different versions of Chicken Soup: Standard American, Indian (with hot chilis) & Columbian (with yucca). The pictures of the Standard American made me want to make a whole new pot!!




Mama.

I love that picture of Chicken Soup right there!
Anyhoo....what do you make with your hands that always makes your family feel loved? Soup? Stew? Cake? ;)

If you've never tried showing your love through cooking, you should give it a shot. It's like giving someone a big hug from the inside out!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment