6:44 PM

Bad Girls: LOT'S WIFE -- A Sin and a Shame!

Hey Ladies!

It's been too long....I know, I know...

The good news is that although this post is late (due to a sick baby, followed by another sick baby..oops, I mean sick husband) you haven't missed much!

Two weeks ago we read and dished about Lot's Wife (another unnamed woman).  And this PAST Sunday, we took a break from Bad Girls and had a personal Goal Setting Workshop for an hour. If you'd like a copy of the worksheet, just email me at sparkedlife@gmail.com and let me know you'd like a copy!  It was an hour well spent, trust me.

Okay, so without further delay (i.e. before my husband and baby wake up), away we go!

FYI: As soon as I typed that sentence, they both woke up - sigh -

Anyhoo:

The bulk of this story is found in Genesis 19. 

There was a man named Lot who was the nephew of a great man of God, Abraham.  But Lot wasn't necessarily that great of a Godly man himself. He was a successful business man in the city of Sodom & Gomorrah.  Many evil things happened there and God sent 2 angels to check it out and destroy it if it were that bad. It was. But because Abraham had prayed for his nephew & his nephews family, the angels were instructed to get them all out safely BEFORE the WMDs came crashing down.  The entire family was rescued (Lot, his wife & 2 daughters) but on the way out, Lot's wife disobeyed a simple order: RUN & DON'T LOOK BACK.  Well folks, she looked back. And I think the sheer horror of what she saw gave enough time for her to be consumed and she was turned to a pillar of salt.  Lot and the girls kept it moving though.

For the sake of time/space I had to leave out a few details here. But if you read the story and the chapter, you know I left out the juiciest parts.

These are the points our class focused on:

1. Lot's wife was silent. The whole time her husband was offering their virginity to a malicious city of men.
Uhhh...yah. I said "city".  The Bad Girls in our class believed that maybe Lot's wife was more concerned with maintaining the status quo in a town where she was comfortable.  They also said that maybe this wasn't the first time something like this had happened in their town.  But one thing NONE of our Bad Girls could reconcile was how any mother could allow her children to be offered up for abuse. Especially to maintian her own comfort. Ugggh.

Terrible as it sounds, women do it every day. They know their little ones are in harms way, but to keep a man, they turn a blind eye & deaf ear.  Others are sold out to drugs and alcohol and offer their innocent babies to the highest bidder to secure their own next high.  It's a sad place to be in...for both parties.
2. Lot didn't strike us as the "super spiritual" type. He seemed like the kind of guy who was raised in church and grows up saying things like, "I don't need a church to be spiritual. I have God in my heart. I probably have more of Him here than I would in there!"  So when Liz Curtis Higgs presented the question: WHY WOULD GOD GO THROUGH THE TROUBLE OF RESCUING LOT AND HIS FAMILY? (Especially after they hesitated MANY times after they'd been warned of the pending disaster!

The answer is found in 2 places:

Romans 6:23 & 2 Peter 3:9

God doesn't treat us as our sins deserve. WE do a fine job of that alone, don't we? Sometimes TOO fine of a job. But the verse that resonated with all of us was found in 1 Timothy 1:16 (NIV):

"But for that very reason I was shown mercy, so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his UNLIMITED patience as an example for those who would believe on Him and receive eternal life."

BAM!!

Say whaaaat???

Ladies:  you might think that what you've done or experienced is worse than anyone else. And you may think that those things disqualify you from a life of peace and power in Christ. But the opposite is true.  YOU (with alll you Badness) were allowed to experience things to show God's UNLIMITED patience to those who watch you life in Christ unfold.  YOU and all your pain and issues have been designed to be a walking, talking example of what God's redemption looks like.

The free gift of God is salvation. Receive it where you are and let him have His way!

You've got work to to, Bad Girl!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would
really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme.
Appreciate it

Also visit my blog post; http://orthowiki.pl/

Anonymous said...

Hello! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I truly
enjoy reading through your posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that go over the same topics?
Thanks a lot!

Look at my page :: onurbridals.com

Anonymous said...

Howdy I am so delighted I found your weblog, I really
found you by error, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow
I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love
the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment but I have
saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the
superb b.

Feel free to surf to my web site; 140.115.126.240

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your articles.
Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same topics?
Appreciate it!

Also visit my web site: Click on code6studio.com

Anonymous said...

It's going to be ending of mine day, however before ending I am reading this enormous post to improve my knowledge.

Here is my blog post ... Hip Zipper Vintage Clothing

Anonymous said...

hi!,I like your writing so a lot! percentage we keep up a correspondence extra about your post
on AOL? I require an expert on this space to unravel my problem.
May be that's you! Taking a look forward to see you.

Stop by my web blog - tsjechiewiki.nl

Post a Comment